Skip to Content Skip to Navigation

Property Managers

If you are interested in marketing/advertising through our office, please take a look at the Marketing and Advertisement Options 2019-2020. When you have made your selections, please fill out our Business Opportunities form.

University Policies

Sales, Solicitations, Collections & Advertising

All sales, solicitations and collections in University buildings or on University grounds, and all uses of the University for commercial or promotional advertising purposes are prohibited without prior authorization.

Sales, Solicitation & Collections

The sale of anything, the solicitation of subscriptions, or the collection of dues is prohibited in University buildings or on University grounds without prior authorization from Auxiliary Operations 573-882-7255, 304 Jesse Hall.


The University shall not be used for commercial or promotional advertising purposes, nor shall the name of the University be identified in any way with the aims, policies, programs, products, or opinions of any organization or its members, with the following exceptions: notices required by law, employment opportunities, extension programs, and normal or regular activities seeking attendance at an event.

Questions regarding use of the University for any commercial or promotional advertising purposes should be directed to Auxiliary & Service Operations 573-882-7254, 304 Jesse Hall.

Posting Materials on Campus

Policy Statement

  • This policy applies to all University of Missouri employees, students, University affiliates, contractors and visitors who post materials on University property.

Bulletin Boards of Designated Area

  • All posters, signs or other materials must be placed on bulletin boards or in designated areas.
  • Exterior bulletin boards are considered free bulletin boards for appropriate use; however, priority of space will be given to University sponsored activities.
  • Interior bulletin boards are for appropriate materials and should be used after the material has been coordinated by the department or building coordinator in charge of the bulletin board.
  • Bulletin boards in residence halls are for posting official notices and announcements. All materials should be approved by the residence hall coordinator.

Other Areas

  • No posters, signs or other articles shall be pasted, nailed, taped, stapled, or otherwise attached to any part of the interior or exterior (including windows and doors) of University buildings or light posts, telephone poles, trees, trash receptacles, or automobile windshields, except as approved by MU Operations; residence halls; Memorial Union or MU Student Center.

Placing and Removing Posted Material

  • Material should be posted not more than one week prior to the event or the beginning of ticket sales. After the event, the person or group who posted the material is responsible for removing it within 24–48 hours.

Classroom Chalkboards or Whiteboards

  • The University recognizes that student organizations, professors and others regularly use chalkboards, whiteboards, etc. for educational purposes. Recognized student organizations may use classroom boards to post materials (this includes use of chalk or non-permanent erasable markers) if the professor using the classroom during the time the messaging appears on the chalkboard or whiteboard approves such use of the chalkboards or whiteboards.
  • At the end of the approving professor’s time to use the classroom, the material should be removed by the student organization unless permission is given by the next professor utilizing the classroom. Anyone using chalkboards or whiteboards in classrooms during non-class times should erase the boards when they vacate the classrooms.


  • Violations of this policy may be considered acts of vandalism and will be subject to appropriate action.

Sound Amplification Devices

Policy Statement

  • The use of sound amplification devices in buildings, on the campus, or on any site of the University, whether owned by the University or under its control, is not allowed unless either a permit for the use is obtained or the use falls within an exception to the permit requirement. This policy applies to all University of Missouri employees, students, University affiliates, contractors, and visitors.
  • This policy complies with and implements Collected Rules and Regulations 110.040.
  • Expanded definitions and other information for this policy are available under Resources below.


“Sound amplification device” is defined as any electrically operated or non-electric assisted device for the amplification of sound. This includes but is not limited to:

  • Public address systems, powered speakers, and music or voice amplifiers
  • Bull horns
  • Megaphones
  • Musical instruments

Exceptions – Sound Amplification Devices Prohibited Without Permit

The use of sound amplification devices in University buildings or on any University grounds or site is prohibited unless any one the following three criteria are met:

  • The level of sound amplification meets all of the following requirements:
    • The amplified sound level does not exceed eighty-five (85) decibels when measured at a distance of fifty (50) feet or more from the sound source;
    • The amplified sound level does not exceed sixty (60) decibels when measured inside a classroom, library, or office, except that on days in which one or more colleges is conducting final examinations or has scheduled a reading day, the decibel level in this paragraph shall be forty (40) decibels;
    • The amplified sound level if played from a vehicle is not plainly audible at a distance of fifty (50) feet or more from the vehicle.
  • The use is part of and in furtherance of University-sponsored and scheduled activities, or the use is by University officials or employees in the performance of their duties.
  • A written permit approving such use is issued by MU Operations 573-882-7255, 305 Jesse Hall;

Notwithstanding any of the provisions of this policy, the use of sound amplification devices is prohibited if the use violates applicable federal, state, or local law or ordinances.


The following procedures assist with ensuring compliance with the above policy:


For the purpose of implementing and determining compliance with this policy, decibel levels are measured with devices approved by MU Operations. There are, however, devices, including smartphone applications, that can help discern excessive noise levels in the environment. In the absence of a noise level measurement, it is reasonable to expect a sound amplification device to fall within the exception to the permit requirement in the following circumstances:

  • The amplified sound level is not plainly audible at a distance of one hundred (100) feet or more from the building, structure, or outdoor area in which the device is located when such device is being operated between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. (On days in which one or more colleges is conducting final examinations or has scheduled a reading day, fifty (50) feet should be substituted for one hundred (100) feet);
  • The amplified sound level is not plainly audible at a distance of fifty (50) feet or more from the building, structure, or outdoor area in which the device is located when such device is being operated during the hours of 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.


Written permits may not be issued for the use of sound amplification devices when one or more colleges are administering final examinations or has scheduled a reading day.

Written permits shall specify the time, duration, location, and manner for which the proposed use of a sound amplification device is authorized.

Any individual, department, or organization planning to use a sound amplification device in circumstances where uncertainty exists about whether the planned use will fall within the exception for non-disruptive sound levels is encouraged to apply for a written permit.


Complaints regarding amplified sound should be directed to the Office of the Vice Chancellor of Operations, 305 Jesse Hall, 882-7255. Upon receipt of a complaint about amplified sound, this office shall determine whether the use of the device or the amplification sound level complies with this policy.

If the use of the device or the amplification sound level does not comply with this policy or deviates from the permit purporting to authorize the use as to time, duration, location, or manner, the sound amplification shall be immediately brought into compliance with this policy and with any applicable permit.

If compliance with the policy or the permit is not forthcoming, any applicable permit shall be deemed to be revoked and the amplification may be turned off.

Residential Life

Residential Life (Res Life) accepts no more than a 10% count of the total student population of each hall. Materials will be displayed for a maximum of 2 weeks, and anything you wish to distribute must be in accordance with the following guidelines.

All materials must be approved first by contacting the Residential Academic Programs (RAP) Office at 573-882-4815 or by email at:

  • No encouragement of breaking the law or University policies
  • No profanity, nudity, or the advertisement of drugs or alcohol
  • Materials may be no larger than 8.5” x 11”
  • Contact information must be listed on all materials (email, phone number, address)

Once materials are approved, the fliers must be bundled/labeled for the building to which they are to be distributed. The materials must then be dropped off at the Residential Academic Programs Office, in the lower level of C122 Pershing Commons, 909 Hitt St. The RAP Office will distribute them to the residence halls.

There are 2 options for advertising your materials in the Residence Halls.

  1. We allow 1 flyer/poster per residence hall, 16 total.
    • The flyer would be posted on a commercial board at each hall’s information desk for 1 week only.
    • Materials may be no larger than 8.5” x 11”
    • Contact information must be listed on all materials (email, phone number, address)
  2. “Residential Life 10% rule”
    • Vendors may provide materials in a quantity of up to 10% of each residence halls’ capacity
    • Items such as: fliers, coupons, business calendars/schedules, brochures
    • Materials may be no larger than 8.5” x 11” (quarter sheet size is optimal -4.25” x 5.5”for handouts like coupons, promo calendars)
    • The materials would be displayed at an information table at each front desk for students to pick-up and take with them
    • Materials will be recycled after two weeks

Summer distribution

Distribution of materials during the summer session

  • Materials can be distributed during the summer, but note that only 2 residence halls will be open, so your ability to reach a large number of students will be limited.
  • Please contact the RAP Office for more information about summer distribution.

Email Advertisement

Vendors who utilize MU system email addressed to send unsolicited advertisements to MU students, faculty or staff will first receive a cease and desist letter; any subsequent emails will result in vendor’s email address being block by the University of Missouri Department of Information Technology.


The Missouri Student Unions welcomes off-campus businesses to host an information table or event in the Missouri Student Unions.

Please reach out the Missouri Student Unions Event Management Office to schedule for your next event at 573-884-8793 or

Missouri Student Unions Policies

Please find below a list of policies that relate specifically off-campus/external groups who wish to schedule within the Missouri Student Unions. For a complete list of policies, please review,

Information Tables

In order to provide an educational, safe, and welcoming atmosphere to MU students and off-campus guest, the following guidelines have been established for table usage at the MU Student Center and Memorial Student Union.

Tables may be reserved for informational displays, fundraising activities and off-campus vending (service-based only):

  • All tables and outdoor spaces are booked on a first-come, first-served basis. A reserved table is assigned a specific number as it relates to table location. Your reservation confirmation will indicate the table number and its location.
  • Only approved off-campus vendors may reserve tables or outdoor spaces.
  • An individual from an approved off-campus vendor must be present at all times at the information table.
  • All vendors should check-in with the respective building information desk at the beginning of their reservation time.
  • An individual may not reserve tables or outdoor spaces for individual/personal use.
  • Only those tables that are scheduled and provided by the Unions will be permitted.
  • No signage or activity by any member of the organization shall extend beyond the table provided. Organizations are to remain within an arm’s length distance from the information table. Stopping people walking by, yelling, or calling attention to the table, or other harassing behavior towards the regular customers of the area is not permitted. Any loud, boisterous activity that is disruptive is also not permitted.
  • Organizations may not rearrange locations of tables assigned to them.
  • Organizations may not utilize any other area except that which they have reserved.
  • If a group does not have a reservation at a table they will be asked to move.
  • Organizations that engage in such activities will be asked to leave the premises immediately. Such behavior may result in the cancellation of current or subsequent bookings as well as the forfeiture of vendor fees for off-campus users.

If food items are to be utilized, a food permit must be obtained through the Health and Safety Sanitarian of the University of Missouri. They can be reached at 573-882-7018.

Off-Campus Users

The off-campus vendor must fill out the University approved Facilities Use Agreement, and fulfill all requirements contained therein in its entirety. Vendors will be asked to provide details regarding the purpose, approach and items that will be utilized at the information table(s). This information is to provide clarity regarding the services, products, giveaways and promotions the company will be highlighting during their information table reservation. Off-campus vendors may not promote entertainment venues. The Unions reserves the right to deny tables for off-campus vendors who promote activities, events and spaces in competition with the Unions mission and building tenants. All reservations are tentative until approved.

The Facilities Use Agreement and all other appropriate forms must be completed and returned with full payment not less than two weeks prior to the scheduled reservation date to the Event Management office ( in the Memorial Student Union. The reservation will be considered null and void if no contract or payment or an incomplete contract is received after this deadline.

Each table has a cost per day, per table location, associated with its use.

Reservations may not be made less than two weeks prior to the actual event in order to allow processing. To waive this guideline, special permission must be obtained from the Unions Administration ( Vendors are not guaranteed the same spot for vending every day.