Skip to Content Skip to Navigation

Fire & CO

Prevent Fire

  • Be sure smoke detectors are in proper working condition. Install new batteries at the beginning of each semester.
  • Do not overload electrical outlets. If you need to plug multiple appliances into an outlet, use a fused power strip.
  • Put out candles and incense when unattended.
  • Extinguish all smoking materials thoroughly.
  • Clean up immediately after parties and take all trash outside.
  • Do not leave food unattended on the stove or in the microwave.
  • Plan your escape routes in case fire does strike.
  • Make sure all exit doors are unlocked and not obstructed.
  • Know two ways out of your apartment/house.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless and odorless gas. Proper installation, operation, and maintenance of fuel-burning appliances in the home are the most important factor in reducing the risk of CO poisoning. Purchase a CO detector in order to protect yourself from poisoning. Detectors can be found in stores that have home improvement departments.

The initial symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). They include:

  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness

If you suspect that you are experiencing CO poisoning, get fresh air immediately. Leave the home and call for assistance from a neighbor’s home. You could lose consciousness and die from CO poisoning if you stay in the home. For more information contact the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.