Take these steps to protect any vehicle:
- Lock your car.
- Never hide a spare key on the vehicle.
- Roll up windows completely.
- Remove keys from ignition.
- Park as close as possible to an open business.
- Do not leave valuables in open sight. Place valuables in trunk if possible.
- Always park with the wheels turned toward the curb.
- If you have a garage, use it and lock the garage door.
- When going out of town, if possible, remove the distributor cap or coil wire.
- Never leave your car running while it is unattended.
- Do not leave your registration inside your vehicle, but carry it with you. Important identification papers or credit cards should never be left in a glove compartment.
- If your car is stolen, before it can be listed as stolen, you must have your license plate number and/or vehicle identification number.